I know, I know, I still have 12 days until race day. But only 10 days until we load up the car and head to Cleveland for "The Cleveland Experience" and race weekend. I AM EXCITED! I have started my lists, and my lists of lists (as Jeff likes to say), to be sure that I don't forget anything for race weekend. There are 4 people, going for 2 nights and THREE races! That's a lot of stuff! Also, I am working on our weekend schedule meaning my poor hubby, mom, and Jamie (my BRF (best running friend) & training partner) have all been subjected to several emails regarding race weekend today. Luckily Jamie is MORE of a planner than I am, so I know she doesn't mind! I haven't heard back from Jeff yet, so the jury is still out on that one (sorry, honey!). I talked to my brother yesterday about our plans for taking the kids to the Science Center, and what we are going to do for the pre-race dinner. See? Everything's coming together nicely!
Now, I won't bore you with all of the MANY items on my list, but here are some examples of what I CANNOT forget:
Of course there are the obvious items:
- race outfit (yes, broken out individually for EVERY piece of clothing I will be wearing)
There are the less obvious items:
- Long-Run Cake that I have before every long run
- Honey Stinger Chews
- couple gallons of water for the weekend to stay hydrated
- snacks; we'll be walking around some for the expo and races on Saturday
- Chargers for watches and phones
- Book to read to help me fall asleep the night before the race
- Ipad with Spirit of the Marathon to watch in case I get nervous or can't sleep
- The all important Body Glide!
- Sunscreen (very important for those of us out there for HOURS)
- etc, etc
Then there is the Mid-Race bag that I give to Jeff for the just in case of emergency:
- Extra Honey Stinger Chews (I like to be overly prepared and I can't use Gu)
- Extra water bottle with Nuun
- Body Glide (might be hot!)
- Socks, if I'm sweating too much, I'll switch out my socks to prevent blisters
- Hat if I don't wear it for the start of the race
There is the Post-Race Bag:
- Clean clothes! (again, broken down by each piece)
- Flip-flops (my feet will be too swollen to wear anything else!)
- Baby wipes (wonderful when you don't have access to a shower, help take at least a little bit of the stink away and feel so good to clean the grossness off your face!)
- Deodorant (you don't want to make your whole family suffer for the drive home do you?)
- Cash for the post-race party (i.e. Beer money!)
Tired yet? I still have to pack regular stuff for 2 kids and 2 adults. Yes, I typically pack everything for my husband too as I am Type A. Plus, this way, I can't blame anyone for forgetting something. Also, it gives me more to do to keep my mind occupied in the week leading up to the race!
What is one "less obvious" item that you make sure goes on your list? What could I be forgetting?